CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/07/02

Ode to Baby's Breath

     OK, I am not really writing an ode, but maybe I should. I LOVE baby's breath! This is a funny thing in our family because NOBODY else does!!
     I think it smells good. But, all the guys in the family say that it smells like cat pee.
     I don't get how they get that, but right now with it in bloom, I just love to drive with my windows down :)
     And, I told all the baby's breath HATERS in my family that I was going to devote a blog to baby's breath!!!
     Some facts about baby's breath: It's botanical name is gypsophila, it's a perenial herb, it attracts butterflies (who doesn't love a butterfly??), it's a popular florist filler, and finally...WHY do they call it baby's breath?
     I have searched and searched in all sorts of reference places and nobody OFFICIALLY says, but here's what I have found.
     Baby's breath symbolizes innocence. You know how all flowers have some sort of meaning. And, it's colors are all pastel-like, which in the olden days that's what adorned most nurseries.
     Many other people say (as would the men in my household) that is smells like old milk.
     Still others say because it is as fresh as a baby's breath or as delicate as a baby or that the flowers have a delicate fragrance.
     Get this though, according to a Californian government website, Baby's Breath has in places "escaped cultivation and become a noxious weed." It later mentions that it is "an escaped ornamental." It is ILLEGAL to plant in California!!
     Upon further delving, I have found that it is a Class C noxious weed in our very own state!!
     SO, I don't know why they call it Baby's Breath, and I suppose you argue either side if you wanted to debate it :) Some people say babies stink, other LOVE that baby smell!

No comments: