CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/03/17

March Madness (said in a Scottish, Sean Connery kind of way)

     I love that today is St. Patrick’s Day, and I LOVE wearing green! I actually think that every Monday should be Wear Something Green Day!!!
     I even know of a kid who is of Irish descent AND his birthday is TODAY!!! Yup, he is an Irish lad with a St. Patty’s Day birthday! Cool!
     In addition to the green holiday, we have other stuff happening in March, too. Like this Thursday is the first official day of Spring. WOO HOO!!!
     Of course, we have the basketball stuff. And, I have to be honest here…I like watching kids I know play basketball, and I can get into college ball during March (and, I usually root for the Cinderella teams), but I am not a big NBA fan. I will watch the NBA Championship games, but otherwise I am not too interested.
     And, of course, March brings Easter, well sometimes. I THOUGHT Easter was super early this year, and I was right. Next year, it is April 12th! Hello!
     In the nineties, Easter came twice in March (30th and 31st), and in this decade this is the third time that Easter arrived in this month (the other two were the 27th and 31st, though). CRAZY.
     It’s so early this year that St. Patrick’s Day actually falls during Holy Week! I did find out that it is some complicated formula to determine when Easter really is, and apparently it won’t be this early until 2106! The rules are that Easter must happen on a Sunday (Duh) that follows into the window of March 22 and April 25. Check. Then it must follow the first full moon that happens on or after March 21st (AKA the vernal equinox). You can also check out info about the Paschal Full Moon, if you are interested in the astronomy rather than religious take on all of this calendar business. That, of course, is the Western take on things (which includes Roman Catholics, Protestants, etc.), but the Eastern take is completely different, which more centers around Passover.
     However, you look at it…the commercialized Easter is THIS Sunday. SIGH.

No comments: