CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/05/29

Gas got you down?

     A week or so ago, I was driving and listening to one of my favorite shows on NPR, All Things Considered.
     The feature story was about saving gas and myths surrounding that. Totally, you should listen to the interview. I learned a lot!
     What things stood out for me? Well, I knew that if you run your air conditioning that you use more gas, and it turns out you only lose 1 mile per gallon.
     What I didn't know was that if you ride with your windows open and your air conditioner off, you still lose gas mileage! So, you might as well drive with the air conditioning on!!! Hello!
     If you drive 55, you save 5 miles to the gallon than driving 65 and 10 miles to the gallon than if you were driving 75, so slow down and save some gas!
     I also thought it was interesting that you don't lose gas mileage if your air filter is dirty IF you have a newer car.
     A few other things I know (pays to live with a mechanic), you should pay attention to your tire pressure! And, if you carry around extra weight (golf clubs, tires, etc.), you also decrease your gas mileage.
     Whatever it takes...save a little gas! Oh, and the best gas-saving tip? Park the car and walk or ride your bike.
     P.S. I had a long time ago heard about hypermiling, and so I did some checking on it, and there are some interesting techniques to increasing your gas mileage! If you just google hypermiling, you will find lots of info. INTERESTING.

No comments: