CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/01/30

Two houses, two beds, two lives...

     Last night I read an outstanding book. I am in the middle of two other ones, and I just happened to pick this one up at the library, and I am glad I did.
     The book, The Dark Sons, sat in the center of a young adult fiction display at the library. What grabbed my attention was that it had received the Coretta Scott King Award, and I have enjoyed many of the books that have also received that award.
     Then when I started looking at it, I saw that it was written in verse format. Very cool, and I have read several books like that.
     Nikki Grimes is the author, and she rocks the poetry part of the book. Her literary techniques create such a cadence while reading that you just can't set the book down, and I didn't! I read it in one sitting!
     The story rotates between two boys, both first person accounts of their lives, particularly their families with a major focus on their relationships with their fathers.
     The first boy is Ishmael, son of Abraham, and the second boy is Sam, son of James. Ishmael's story takes place in the desert, while Sam's is set in New York in present day.
     Now, if you know the bible, you know the story of Ishmael, and regardless of your beliefs (I actually took a Bible Literature class in college--fascinating!), these parallel stories touch your heart in a real way, knowing that we have so many kids living in this situation of split families.
     When I picked up the book, I had NO idea it was even going to be about that. I was obviously meant to read that book!
     My favorite poems in the book (although many pages from one another) are the pages with the poems about how difficult it is for a child to have two lives.
     You can check these specific poems out at: http://www.nikkigrimes.com/books/bkdark.html. I like them both, but I really like Sam's; it's the one that resonates with me most.
     You know I have always considered returning to college to earn a doctorate, and I think it would be fascinating to study about how children of divorce (especially contentious ones) are emotionally affected, and if there is any evidence regarding multiple personality disorders as related to that experience.

No comments: