CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/06/23

Why Spokane matters to me :)

     We are headed to Spokane this weekend for Hoopfest! I can't wait for a bunch of reasons.
     First of all, we get to spend time with family, as Rick's oldest son lives there, and his oldest daughter will be there with the grandkids, too.
     We have lots of friends who will be over there for Hoopfest, too, so that will be fun to run into everyone.
     I love Spokane! Why? Well, for starters I was born there. I lived there for many years.
     My great-grandpa on my mom's side was an immigrant from Sweden. He was a master carpenter, and he built the most amazing home on the South Hill.
     I attended Garfield Elementary School, and I still love to drive by the house we used to live in when I was a little girl.
     I have some special places in Spokane that have their own special place in my heart.
     My aunt and uncle used to live out in Mead, so we went there a lot, and I spent lots of time with my cousin Tina.
     I loved going to the library in downtown, and of course Riverfront Park! I loved (and, still do) feeding the ducks and the garbage eating goat.
     We always rode the carousel EVERY Sunday before we would go to visit my great-grandpa, but after we attended St. Aloysius (the Catholic church by Gonzaga).
     I loved the rides in the summer, and even more the ice skating rink in the winter.
     We used to swim at Comstock Park, we used to go to the gardens in Manito Park, and play at the wading pool (that is no longer there).
     We went to the drive-in, the $1 movie at the Garland, and we every year went to the rodeo, circus, and Ice Capades.
     Spokane is still one of my favorite places.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spokane is the coolest. My grandma lives there so we go there quite a bit. I know where most of the places you are talking about. Spokane is my second home..It was nice to know some stuff about you