CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/06/10

A reading fool!

      One of my favorite things about summer is READING! I feel like I have way more time to do it! Even when we go to the park, I can bring it along and read a little on the breaks.
      So, I should update you with what I am reading! I am in two book clubs, so I have one book for next Monday, and another for in July.
      The one for next week is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life. You can check it out here! I will definitely blog about it when I finish it, but the person who chose this book, well, I have LOVED all of her choices and to be completely honest often it's a book that I wouldn't have chosen on my own! Then after we have finished it, I always appreciate that someone did choose it because I might have missed it.
     As well, regarding this book, I know MANY people who have read it lately and recommended it to me!
     What I like about this book, is I LOVE the author, Barbara Kingsolver! I have read tons of her fiction, so I am excited to read this one. I am starting it today, as it just came in the mail yesterday! Good thing I am a fast reader!!
     Also, sitting on my night stand waiting to be read for next month is The Friday Night Knitting Club. This book reminds me of one of my favorites, How to Make an American Quilt.
     The Knitting novel is Kate Jacobs debut novel (she recently came out with a second one called Comfort Food), and I have also heard good things about the Knitting one. I am saving it for next week.
     Currently reading? Yup, two books. One I will finish this afternoon, the other...not sure when; it's mammoth!
     I am reading Into the Wild for the second time. Why? I am teaching an outdoor class next week, and we are using it as a theme for our class.
     I don't often like to read books a second time, but I wanted it to be fresh for me since I had read it a long time ago. I loved it this time around, too!!!
      And, I also realized that I like the movie even more than I did when I saw it a couple of months ago. Sean Penn did a good job translating the book into a movie.
     The other book I just started on Sunday is a book I have had around for a long time, but I wasn't in the mood to start. Don't know how my mood changed on Sunday, but I picked it up, and I started reading it.
     First of all, I must give a disclaimer. The book starts slow, and it reminded me that I did pick it up before, start it, and relegate it back to the bookshelf.
     This time I powered through the first "boring" thirty pages, and BAM! It takes off at a run! And, once it starts sprinting, you realize that the "boring" pages were a VERY important warm-up!
     The book? The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It's a series (six books), which is super cool because the books are all around 850 pages!
     The crazy thing is that The Outlander was published seventeen years ago!!!!!
     I have had many friends tell me to read it, and I am stoked that I finally started it!!

No comments: