CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/06/22

Whoever said being a mommy is easy...

      Friday I headed down to Wenatchee to deal with our change in custody arrangement for Jordan to move to his dad's next year. This ended up being a pleasant experience.
      Pleasant, you asked? Yes, I am very fortunate in that my ex-husband and I get along very well, and we always can see what's best for the kids, so we don't battle.
     After we agreed upon everything, signed all the necessary forms, I headed to the courthouse.
      What's cool about agreeing is that we don't even have to have a court hearing! I took the papers to Superior Court, spoke with the judge's secretary, and she took the papers to the judge.
      After reviewing everything, the judge came out and asked if I was willing to speak with her, and of course I was.
      She had read in the paperwork that it was actually my idea that Jordan move next year to his dad's, and she wanted to know more details about that.
      I read this incredible book, The Making of the Corps, and it touched me as a mother.
     It's the true story of a reporter who follows a group of young men through basic training and beyond.
      Over and over the theme of father and son relationships pops up. So, I had some serious and deep conversations with my oldest, and he pointed out some things that I had not noticed before.
     I decided that as much as I wanted to be selfish, I more wanted Jordie to have a closer relationship with his dad.
      He is very fortunate to have such a great dad, but his dad is hands-off when Jordie is not there. To remedy that, I decided to give Jordan the opportunity to be there with him, especially given that I am more hands-on even with Jordie not being here.
      After telling this same story to the judge, she told me that she admired me as a mother. THAT was very validating because as I am preparing for Jordan's move, I have questioned my decision to allow this to happen, only because I want Jordan to still live here. He's such an important part of our family.
      So, hearing her say that I was a good mom, well, that just felt good. She also told me that she applauded how well my ex-husband and I co-parent and that she wished more people could handle that. She said that we have the best joint custody situation she has ever observed. That felt good, too.
      She signed all the papers, I filed them, and we were done just like that! Cool!
     I know that life will be changing for all of us soon, but I am embracing that change and looking forward to what it will bring!

No comments: