CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/09/28

What I've learned from my horse...

     A lot.
     I have learned that horses are just like people. They will see what they can get a way with!
     I am so proud of myself!!! My horse has decided that maybe he doesn't want to leave the place if we aren't going out with his favorite horse, Jake.
     Yesterday, Rick took out Jack and Buttermilk (the mule), and I was going to go with him on Joe. Well, Joe jumped and reared, and basically he decided he was boss, and I let him.
     I was bareback, and I was a little worried about being dumped on the asphalt, so I let him go back to the house.
     Then when Rick came back, he took Joe out. This, of course, was a mini-rodeo! He spurred him and fought him the whole way, but he got him out, and once they were down the road, he had a decent ride.
     When he came back with Joe, I did get back on him, but I only rode him up and down the driveway and out in the field.
     I felt a bit disappointed, but I was still proud of the fact that I stayed on him, and then got back on him again. If all that would've happened at the beginning of summer when I was first learning how to ride and take lessons, I probably would've just been through. I would've got off the horse, and walked him back in and gave up. But, I didn't.
     Well, I decided today that I was going to ride him out and around all by myself no matter what. I saddled Joe, all by myself for the first time, and then I got up on him without using a chair (the stirrups help big time!). I did have to have Rick hold him for me, though. (That's my next challenge, to get up on him all by myself!)
     So, I warmed him up by going up and down the driveway and out into the pasture. Then I just decided I was ready and I started out the driveway, and he started hopping and backing up and swinging his head. I held firm and just kept at it, and finally I got him down the driveway, out onto the road, and then down the road!
     I was so stinking proud of myself! The neighbor, Rick, and G-ma Pat had all watched this happen, and I could tell how proud they all were, too!!!
     I went for my first ride by myself, and we went down to the dried up pond, again. I love just being out on my horse. I was so relaxed, and I felt so strong and independent!
     I brought him home, and I made Joe go right on by the driveway, which, of course, he did not care for as he wanted to go home, but we went down the block, with him a jumping and backing up the whole way, until I was in complete control, and then we turned around and came home.
     I have learned all the practical things like how to take good care of my horse, how to saddle him, groom him, etc.
     But more importantly while riding Joe, I have learned life lessons that I have always known to be true.
     You have to stay firm in your convictions. You have to stay in control. You can't let fear rule your life. You have to look for the good in everything. You have to always keep on trying. You have to believe in yourself. You are a lot stronger than you might think when you let yourself really find out.
     I love my horse! He is a part of my family, a part of me. I can't imagine a life without horses ever again. Amen.

No comments: