CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/09/18

On my mind

     Ok, so I heard a story on NPR last Sunday when I was driving to Leavenworth to go and see Jordie (We made plans for Rick to go ride with his good friend Ray, and me to skip out and go to L-Town instead!)! It really made me think!
     Did you know that our military personnel who happen to be out of the county are not able to vote? Well, let me take that back. They can vote, but there ballots don’t end up to them even on time OR if they do, they don’t make it back in time to be counted!
     How ironic is that?? People who fight for our country cannot even have a say of who should be leading the military in the first place. Of all people who deserve that voice the most… And, the number of voters who are overseas and who don’t get to vote are pretty amazing!
     I agree with one of the ideas. Perhaps for the women and men in the military overseas, they could have the opportunity to vote online! Or, maybe they could vote online to the precinct to which they belong, and then the vote would be by proxy in their precinct.
     If you are interested in the full story, check it out HERE on NPR.
     SO, some other stuff from when I was on my road trip to visit my son. And, this even fits with the whole patriotic bit. I LOVE the flag at Prey’s Fruit Barn, just as you head into Leavenworth. It’s so gi-normous. It’s so clean and bright and beautiful! I LOVE IT!
     And, finally, also an NPR connection, I just love their puzzles of the week! This week as I was driving to L-Town, I head the challenge, and even better...KNEW it!!! I shared it with my kids today at school, and someone in every English class figured it out!
     Here's the puzzle. OK, so first you have a pair of words, and the last three letters of the first word are the first three letters of the second word. For example: move over (ove) or local call (cal).
     So, the puzzle is a pair of words where the last three letters of the first word (which is 5 letters long) and the second word (which is 8 letters long) are a furry animal who can grow to be six feet long and four feet high.
     Know it?? If you figure it out, you can submit it on their site! Right here!
     You can download the puzzle right here, if you need to hear it, too! Good luck!
     Anyhoot, I love road trips, even when I go just by myself :)

No comments: