CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/04/29

Carrier - A city on water!

     If you know me, you know I love reality television; it's my one vice.
     Well, I have been watching a documentary on PBS for the last two nights that I LOVE! It's called Carrier, and it's sort of like a reality show (actually it made me think about the evolution of reality tv...just from where it all came).
     It's all about the U.S.S. Nimmitz, and it is a fascinating look at what life is like on deployment for six months.
     Over 5,000 people are on the ship, and it has stores, gyms, barbershops, etc, definitely like a floating (and moving) city.
     The show is a 12-part series, and I have watched the first four. I love how it shows the Navy and the Marines, and what daily life and jobs are really like.
     They also have shared life at port and some incredible cities that they have come into.
     Cody will be leaving on a Military Expedition Unit (MEU) in January, where he ride one such carrier and his company will be dropped off in various places (Japan, Australia, Afghanistan, etc.) to train for a month at a time.
     I especially have enjoyed watching the aircrafts take off and land on the carrier. My favorite group of pilots, of course, is the Red Devils of the Marines.
     I feel dumb that I did not know the Marines had their own pilots!
     I am even thinking about buying this series and sending it to Cody. And, just last night I noticed that Mel Gibson is an executive producer of the project.
     If you have a chance to watch it, do!

No comments: