CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/12/30

Another reason I love the 80s!

     I decided this year to buy the boys something that wasn't an electonic gadget (although we did buy that stuff, too). Something old school. Something that has been around even before their time...So, I bought them each a Rubix Cube.
     Turns out that the cube was invented in 1974, but didn't gain its international popularity until the early 80s.
     I decided it would be my mission to solve the Rubix. And, thank goodness for technology, as I was able to find You Tube videos to figure it out.
     I did find the algorithms to solve the cube, but they didn't mean anything to me because I am a visual learner, and I need to see it happen.
     I watched the video over and over and over and over, and actually there are two videos to watch in order to solve it. Well, there are a bazillion videos, but the one I liked the most was a two-part video.
     Everyone in my house says that I am cheating by watching the video, but I don't think so.
     Now, I can solve it by simply looking at the codes that I have down on paper. I don't have to watch the video anymore.
     Eventually I think I will have the algorithms memorized, and then I won't even need the paper.
     But, for now, I love that I can solve it!! I feel accomplished...ahhhh, the things that teachers do on their breaks, LOL!

No comments: