CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2008/10/08

Truly GREEN

     Today I had the pleasure of hosting Washington State's poet laureate Sam Green in my classroom for two periods.
     What's super cool about that is he will also be back in my room tomorrow, and I am excited to see what he has in store for us.
     The Methow Valley Arts Alliance sponsors his visit to local schools, and I am lucky to be a part of this visit.
     Sam has a story to tell. He does so with the magic movement of words, whether on paper or in the poetry of his candid discussion that at times feels like a stand-up comedian.
     Today as I sat and listened to him, I thought to myself, "What he just said sounds like a poem, and yet I know it wasn't."
     Everything about him breathes lyrical. I love it. He inspires me to return to writing poetry, and I know he touched his teenage audience.
     Sam lives on Waldron Island off the "grid" and truly green, just like his last name.
     You know, it really doesn't surprise me that he has published 10 books of poetry! His life is filled with such interesting experiences.
     We did this cool exercise today...check it out on my other blog!
     I can't wait until tomorrow!

No comments: